Collections lost

1. Which browser, operating system and versions of those are you using?
    Brave 1.24.86, Linux Mint 20.1

2. Which version of Memex are you running?
    2.18.0 but the bug seems to have occurred on earlier version

3. What are the steps you took that lead to the bug?
    Donā€™t know

Hey, I just noticed that some time ago my collections seem to have been reset. Some of the earlier collections I have created are now empty. I think all pages are still saved under ā€œAll Savedā€, just not in the collections. The earliest page that is still saved in one of the collections is from May 5, so the bug seems to have occurred on the 4th or 5th of May. Iā€™m reporting this mainly to see if anyone else has experienced the same problem. Unfortunately I do not know how to reproduce the issue. I cannot think of anything specific I have done like changing the browser or importing a backup.

Probably unrelated, but backup upload has always been stuck at 0%.

Hey @tobi

Weā€™ve identified the bug that lead to removing the collection entries. We had an oversight of an edge case in our last data migration. We are all super frustrated right now about this. It will only have affected a handful of users but nevertheless, this sucks.

With the last 2.18.0 update we already released the fix for the bug and since then have been working on identifying ways of reversing that change.
We found a way, but only for people who had backed up their data previously.
Weā€™re currently working on a restore query affected people can run. Will post instructions ASAP.

The bug you screenshotted is luckily only a UI bug and will be fixed with the next update - is unrelated.

Iā€™ll keep you posted.
I am deeply sorry if you end up having lost your data and didnā€™t have a backup.

Please reach out to me via PM in case that happened.

1 Like

Ok, so it seems as if the migration did not create delete entries in the backup, which is good news because it means you can simply restore from your old backup and all should work again.
Sorry though for the extra work here.

Steps

1. Make sure that all your data is backed up. Donā€™t make a new backup but instead just press the ā€œbackupā€ button in the settings. Itā€™s important that you have a backup with data before the failed data migration. I also fixed the UI bug in 2.18.1 so you should be able to run it now. If you still run into problems we can hop on a quick 15min call too: calendly.com/worldbrain
  2. After you finished the last backup, restore your Memex from your backup
  3. Once the restore is done, reload the extension. To do that, go to brave://extensions > enable developer mode > Memex > background page > console > cmd+R.
  4. Go to the dashboard and check if all is back like you expected it to be?

Let me know if that put your extension back to the point it should be with all the pages in the right collections.

Sorry again for this trouble. Weā€™re already been taking measures for that not to happen again and no data migration causing this much damage. Good news is that all your pages are still there. Just not in the right collection unfortunately.

Hey Oliver,
thanks for your reply. When you say ā€œItā€™s important that you have a backup with data before the failed data migrationā€ do you mean that I must have manually created a backup which I have stored on my hard drive? I have one of those but its from months before the migration when I started using Memex so it would not be of much help.
The UI bug still remains in 2.18.1 so I do not have a backup button in the settings.

When you say ā€œItā€™s important that you have a backup with data before the failed data migrationā€ do you mean that I must have manually created a backup which I have stored on my hard drive?

Yes or in Google Drive.
Fuck, I am so so so sorry that you lost those collection entries. Iā€™ll reach out to you via PM.
How long have you been using Memex before the migration?

Re the UI bug, this is a really old piece of code that we have to rewrite soon when the multi-device sync launches. It worked in my tests when I could reproduce it.
There is a bit of a hacky workaround that goes like this: https://share.descript.com/view/TAJ6QeRhmM4

Since February. But I had only created a few collections and since everything is still saved under ā€œAll Savedā€ it wonā€™t be much effort to restore them.

I could resolve the UI bug. The key I had to delete was called backup.onboarding.running-backup, in case anyone else is having the same problem. Thanks for your help!