What features would make Memex 10X better for you? Dream Big!

I’ve just noticed the brilliant idea from @krobzaur. Further to this great suggestion, I would like to suggest the feature as follows:

Assuming I can recall the tags correctly, after I have input the first tag, instead of displaying a list of all tags, Memex only displays relevant tags which have been associated with the first tag. For example:

Item 1: city, food
Item 2: food, game
Item 3: hobby, entertainment, fun

When I input the first tag “food”, Memex will display a list containing “city” and “game” only instead of displaying a full list of all tags. This can significantly help to narrow down the search by simply choosing from relevant tags.

I understand this feature may not be totally compatible with the suggestion from @krobzaur which is supposed to support partial matching of tag (using regular expression) across the full list. In this case, it will be great if user can have an option to chose which kind of tag searching feature to be enabled so as to better meet the actual needs.

Thank you very much for the tremendous efforts made in Memex.

1 Like

i started a new topic (which isn’t approved yet) but i’ve done some more perusing of “alternative” apps \ methods, and reminded myself of some things, and had some lightbulb moments …

first. I had totally forgotten about Emacs: Org-Roam … and had ignored LogSeq … I mentioned Obsidian in my as-yet-unpublished new topic … my sore point with obsidian is poor web integration, and it’s not web based … actually i think it may be electron based which kinda makes it hard to ever integrate properlly …

Org-Roam (emacs in general) and LogSeq BOTH also fail at web integration, but it looks like LogSeq is making SOME in roads , at least via a chrome extension by a 3rd party …

I think, after having done some mulling … where Memex needs to insert itself is in to a Zotero-To-LogSeq adjacent or inplaceof space.
i personally think zotero needs to be used as a model, at least for sorting and organizing the raw pages\pdfs as they are encountered and stored (the “raw data”) aand that LogSeq POSSIBLY is something that could be actually functionality best achieved via “integration”, meaning get Memex to play really nice with LogSeq … otherwise, buckling down and REALLY ramping up the note TAKING aspect of memex, so that it has these zettlekasten, logseq, org-roam type features … someone mentioned in another thread, the possibility of a mouse over context for highlights … i’d take that a step farther and suggest full on link mouse on-hover “tooltip” link previews, and make them infinitely nest\stackable (i THINK emacs, org-roam does this but if not, see Crusader Kings 3’s tool tip implementation as a reference) …

Once memex becomes a tool that brings the user not just storage, but ORGANISATION and NOTATION\mindmap\relational-graphing capabilities, it will knock it out of the park. if logseq ever becomes browser “native” (extension) i would say memex plus logseq would be the ultimate tool, especially used from vivaldi.

ultimately i think a heavier focus on creative ways to present saved data\pages back to the user so that they have creative options (natively available) for publishing\authoring\note taking\blogging that leave the user sitting with functional and capable access\recall to their saved pages (and the links\relationships between them) the notes they took at the time (page notes) and have that sitting pretty on a desktop\workspace\dashboard that presents them ALSO with a more publishing oriented writing space.

"Hey look, i can view all my pages from yesterdays browsing session, all the notes i took on all of them, i can see the logical links between the notes i took and the pages they reference, and i can also write blog\article\essay\html files and include \ incorporate notes, also add videos and images, and other media. I guess an HTML or multi format text editor is what i’m asking for. but one that sits on a page with the research resources still visible (pages visited, notes, highlights, etc) …

ok. not sure i communicated anything useful, but i hope so. as i said in my other post, i’m still super excited about memex. it has so much potential. and in 2023, its STILL not outdated or outgunned, obsolete. I do think someone on the team needs to make some strong decisions about how much integration of how many random other apps are worth focusing on VERSUS time spent on improving \ honing \ enhancing the UI\UX and features native to memex.
cheers

1 Like

Late to this party… (Been using Memex on and off for a while… Exploring it again because it might fit better with my work.)

Chatted with @BlackForestBoi, earlier, and my feature wishlist was unstructured. (That’s how my brain works. Call it “divergent thinking”, if you must.) Part of the reason it’s a difficult exercise to think through amazing new features is that there are several painpoints affecting my experience with Memex.
Besides, I’m not even that sure what’s available or not, since the product/service equation has changed a lot.

Something which would greatly improve my work is if I could use it to “ingest” RSS feeds, process the information (tagging, adding to spaces, annotating, commenting…), and then share well-organized content based on the items present in these feeds. In a way, an improved version of Feedly. Also, given the push for AI, it could relate to Waverly (mywaverly.com) (built by someone in my circle who co-founded Element AI with Yoshua Bengio).
Speaking of that AI push… I’m rather ambivalent about it. Yes, the auto-summarization feature is convenient. It’d fit especially well in bulk-processing workflows. It could justify the cost of the paid plans, for certain people.
At the same time, many of us have significant concerns with the OpenAI approach and funding. Surely, there are other ways to get automatic summaries without “betting the farm” on this specific organization.
Also related to “practical uses of AI”, a (modest) “quality of life” feature would be to guess which spaces/tags I’m likely to use for a given piece (link, highligted segment…).

Some of my feature requests would relate to the Fediverse, particularly Mastodon. The simplest one would be to share directly to a Mastodon account, the way it’s probably been planned for Twitter (before it became unusable). More interesting, though, would be to “ingest” Mastodon posts related to a given link or segment. Plus, the whole idea of federating across instances could apply in interesting ways. For instance, Matrix conversations could access Memex annotations about Peertube videos by establishing “strong metadata practices”. Or not. While the technical details can be interesting, it’s more about dreaming in different sizes.

A couple of simple features would help me replace OneTab. And they’re almost silly. Maybe they exist in Memex and I’ve yet to find them.
One example is adding multiple tabs to the same space at the click of a button. With OneTab, I often accumulate a bunch of tabs and, after navigating them, I add them all to a given category.
Similarly, I can click on a link to restore all the tabs in a category. In this sense, it’s almost like “spaces” in a desktop sense.
Also, because of the way OneTab keeps everything in one simple list, I can easily browse the 100k+ links I’ve collected in the past year or so without getting entangled in a specific search feature.

Besides those ideas, as mentioned, most of what would improve the Memex experience has to do with basic painpoints. Documentation being scattered through different sites and tools, the shifts between domain names (worldbrain.io to memex.social to memex.garden to some new clever name?)…
A big one, though, is that I use Safari on my personal devices. Maybe there’s a Memex extension now… Haven’t heard of it. It’d help a lot.
To this day, I keep using Diigo. With a paid account. Despite all sorts of issues with the service. The Safari support is really subpar (a bookmarklet which requires an unsecure setting). Yet it’s the best way I found to keep collecting pieces of web content.
If there is a Memex extension for Safari, maybe I can leave Diigo behind after so many years…

Oh, and some features that I’m unlikely to use…

• Conversational AI: a curation/annotation is “neither the time nor the place” for that. (Conversely, a chatbot could become a powerful tool for curation/annotation.)
  • Discord: for a large number of reasons, that approach to human interactions really doesn’t work for me at this point in my professional development.
  • Any blockchain-based feature: there’s some room for trustless ledgers elsewhere (say, in microcredentials). Not in a tool that I use for curation, annotation, knowledge management, or organic collaboration.
  • Another backup system: I get why it’d work for Obsidian yet my “subscription fatigue” is particularly strong when it comes to backup/sync systems.
  • Any kind of gamification/competition: while it might make sense to rate pieces of content (especially if we do it on several dimensions, as was the case with Slashdot), there’s a large risk surrounding Memex if it adopts those modes of extrinsic motivation from that era of social networking platforms.

So… All this to say…

I do perceive potential in Memex becoming several times better than it currently is. I’ll probably focus on a few feature requests in the forum meant for that.

1 Like