[NEW] - Testing Memex Mobile App & Sync

@jnv @niieani @xcvbn @marzio.meme

Thanks folks for testing and reporting your issues. With the latest version .36 it should now all work again.

@marzio.meme to address your specific questions:

• To see how many items you have in the DB, go to settings >> imports. for 40k articles it can take a couple of hours as of now. We plan to introduce a setting where you can only sync the pages you interacted with, instead of everything. Especially before we introduce the search on mobile syncing everything may only create an unnecessary overhead.
  • Because on mobile it needs to go over a wifi connection and both read everything from your disk on the computer, and then save everything on the mobile phone’s db. We know its unoptimised and there is surely some improvements to be gained, but it is expected that it takes longer there.
  • Progress bar is in the making. Soon launching an update to the overall UI of Memex & Sync: https://recordit.co/uyEuA9g5gi
1 Like

I made tests with latest mobile app release (1.2.36) and from that moment the chrome extension started crashing repeatedly. In the screenshot it’s written “WorldBrain’s Memex crash. Click here to restart the extension.”. I had to stop the extension cause it makes the CPU goes up to 70-80% of consumption.

Finally I’ve got around to test the new version and indeed, the initial sync works for me now. Thanks for the fix!

Setup

Operating system on desktop: macOS 10.15.2
Desktop browser used: Firefox 72.0.2
Operating system on phone: Android 10
Phone browser used: Firefox for Android 68.4.2

Performance

Amount of pages: ~2000 (or 16786 objects, not sure if it’s relevant)
Time for the initial sync: 9 minutes

Issues & comments

Found bugs:
Looks like further synchronization has some issues, I don’t see page saved from the phone in the desktop browser even after pressing Sync Now. In the extension console I see errors like: sendRemoveListener on closed conduit info@worldbrain.io.274878535694. I will see if restarting the browser and/or app helps.
Edit: Yep, looks like restarting the browser did help.

Other comments:
Interestingly, the initial sync was finished after processing only 9242 “objects” out of 16786 total (per debug console).

today beta version of the app goes out. But i have to repeat that Memex extension continues to crash every now and then, since tests with android app version 1.2.36. I tried to remove Android from device list but it didn’t help. I can’t even import urls. How to fix it?

Hey @marzio.meme

Ah great it already went into the store - we expected it to take a few days.
When those crashes appear, did you try to sync the app before with different profiles, or did you have a second phone you used with the same account?

I have 2 PCs, 1 mobile, 1 memex account. In the PC where I never sync memex with the app it doesn’t crash.

So you only synced the mobile app with one of the computers? Did you ever delete, re-install and repair the app?

I just realised think I know why it does crash your Memex! There was a bug we already fixed here that would write your backup entries to the sync log, and write a lot of unnecessary sync log entries.

Can you go to > chrome://extension > debug extensions > Memex > background page > application > indexedDB > memex > clientSyncLogEntry

There must be a couple 10k of entries, you can safely delete them by clicking on the :no_entry_sign:icon.
How many did you have there?

143163 total entries

deleting those entries, now extension doesn’t crash anymore. Thank you so much. I couldn’t use Memex anymore before. But now i have fear to try again syncing with new version app :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: I joke, i’ll try again in coming days.

edit: aren’t bugs finished? maybe not. after successful importing, I tried to backup.
step 1 preparing upload: OK
then this message appears:

BACKUP FAILED

Please check your internet connectivity. Backup was not successful as the connection was either not strong enough or there was no connection. If you still encounter issues please contact support.

and - of course - connectivity is up and working.

any idea?

last day I switched on “collect errors” inside extension settings. after 2 days this is the result:

seems quite a lot of errors to my eyes… is it fine like that?

But now i have fear to try again syncing with new version app

hehe :slight_smile: I think it should work properly, the memex mobile app is out already on Android and iOS. You would just need to update

edit: aren’t bugs finished?

Sorry that you experience so many bugs right now. We are about to release the Memex 2.0 version, which is already in the review process in the Chrome store & Firefox.
With it a lot of those issues should be solved, although we know that the Backup process may have different causes on why it fails for you. Which backup location do you use? Google Drive or your local folder?

Thanks also for the updates and investigation!

The yellow warnings are fine to the best of my knowledge.

• The “Cannot read property “insertBefore” of null”-error and “[object][object]” are new to me (@v.denboer can you schedule to investigate this one?)
  • “TabURL…” one is happening if you close the tab too early for the indexing to happen
  • “no searchable content” appears when the page is not actually having text based content readable from the html, multiple reasons like animated content.

Yesterday backup (to Google Drive) worked fine without doing anything.

Regarding sync with mobile app, yesterday I tested sync with app version 1.2.38. Unfortunately didn’t go well.
It started around 6 PM CET. I have 43210 saved pages. Was syncing all evening. Around midnight this message:

Is it better for me to wait Memex 2.0 and then trying syncing with mobile app again?

@marzio.meme
Did your computer show you a ‘sucess’ message?

If yes, then it should still have worked!

We found that the bug was that the timeout function that monitored if the sync stalls, also continued counting on the success page.
We fixed that one in the 1.0.2 release yesterday.

i don’t understand if it’s a real success message because on PC there’s no success and the list (2 paired devices) is the same list when device was not synced (in early stages, early version of app and previous extension version).
i’m not too confident after the error message posted above.

It seems as if your device is synced, otherwise you would not have the “sync now” interface.
However it seems as if you are not logged in to your extension, which will cause issues when syncing (aka. it will not sync)

Did you login before you paired? If so, did you log out again?

If both yes, does the sync work when you login? Meaning if you add something via the phone’s share-extension dialogue, does it appear on your dashboard?
Note that there is a 5min sync rhythm (as of now, we’ll change that later), but you can manually press the “sync now” button in the little drop down when you hover over “sync status” in the dashboard.

clicking in Account Info or Login to Sync

it brings me to this page

so I think it’s logged in.
but if i share a webpage to memexshare on mobile, adding a note, then going to the app, clicking sync now, 2 seconds later finished, going to pc and inside Dashboard, Collections, Saved from mobile

nothing appears. Now I waited 5 minutes and nothing happens.